Where is the Open edX Roadmap?
- The Open edX Roadmap can be found here.
What are the goals of the Roadmap?
The goals of the Public Roadmap are:
- To comprehensively document all current, planned work in-flight, across the Open edX ecosystem.
- To provide insight into early stage projects that may not be planned but are in the pipeline and may impact the Open edX ecosystem in significant ways.
- To provide a framework for documenting and prioritizing ideas for future development and investment.
Why do we need a Roadmap?
Ideally, a comprehensive, up-to-date Public Roadmap would answer questions such as:
- What product use cases (and subsequent areas of the platform) have been collectively prioritized for investment by the community?
- What features or updates can we expect in the next Open edX release?
- We would like to invest in Enhancement X. Is anyone else investing there?
- Has work on Issue Y been completed?
- What was the scope and approach taken to Issue Z?
- We would like to see work on Idea Z but cannot take it on now (or alone). Are there partnership opportunities available to advance it?
How is the Roadmap organized?
The Roadmap is a kanban-style board, organized into seven main status categories:
Ideation: A collection of early-stage ideas for possible contributions to the Open edX platform. Ideation tickets consist of simple opportunity briefs outlining the reason behind the idea and the basic value-add.
Prioritized: Subset of ideation tickets that have been identified by the Product Working Group for further discovery.
Backlog: Initiatives that are intended for contribution, that are in the backlog at any organization in the community.
In-progress: Initiatives that are intended for contribution that are in-flight. In-progress tickets must contain information about: the initiative goal; context; scope and approach; value and impact.
Done: To Ship in a Future Named Release: Work on an initiative is complete and it may be live for Marketplace Providers, but the Initiative has not yet been shipped in an Open edX Named Release.
To Ship in [Named Release] or Shipped in [Named Release]: Work on an Initiative is included in a specific Named Release.
Additionally, the Roadmap contains varied views that narrow the scope to certain areas of the platform. For example, a view for the end-to-end landscape of investments and ideas for investment in the Studio Authoring experience. Roadmap views are a current work-in-progress and are expected to change over time.
Who maintains and updates the Roadmap?
The Roadmap is stewarded by Axim Collaborative and the Community Product Working Group.
What is the current status of the Roadmap?
The Roadmap is an iterative work-in-progress. The first Milestone for the Roadmap is underway. The goal for the first Milestone is to ensure all in-flight work across the ecosystem is represented on the Roadmap. This includes contributions from Axim Collaborative, 2U/edX, and all contributing Marketplace Providers.
Can I add my organization’s contributions to the Roadmap?
Yes! We need your participation in order to make the Roadmap a successful and meaningful artifact. Instructions for how to add your contributions are here.